One of the UK’s largest contracting organisations, Laing O’Rourke constructed a mega-project in the UAE in a joint venture with the state developer, Aldar. The project was to create a £10 billion mixed-use development as part of the Abu Dhabi race track development and Ferrari world.
Commercial Consultant, Al Raha Beach Project, Abu Dhabi – implementing commercial best practices.
To define and implement commercial systems and processes to support the entire project, including project controls strategy; providing commercial advice, training and audit reporting for the joint venture.
- Understanding of ingredients needed to implement an integrated project controls solution.
- Knowledge of construction projects and business support software.
- Ability to work closely with commercial, financial and technical teams – win their trust and confidence.
- Identifying new requirements and interpret if they require changes to processes or enhancements to software systems.
- Skills to document and communicate the resulting changes to all parties whether commercial, financial, management or technical.
- Facilitated development enhancements to the commercial management and financial reporting system to provide greater cost control.
- Visualised an improved system and drove through its implementation.
- Trained other system users.
- Directed the creation of a strategy for implementation and ongoing improvement to the system with senior managers.
- Made cost data/information more easily accessible.
- Fully transparent and auditable system.